4 the best types of data collection
4 the best types of data collection, are very important. Any research is only as good as the data that drives it, so choosing the right technique of data collection can make all the difference. In this article, we will look at four different data collection techniques – observation, questionnaire, interview and focus group discussion – and finally valuate their suitability under different circumstances.
There are essentially four options for data collection: in-person, mail, telephone, and online interviews. There are pros and cons to each of these methods. Without a doubt, customer data is a company’s most valuable asset. Also Sales, marketing, and service teams rely on insights to deliver satisfying experiences at the right time.
Obviously data collection is a challenge, since it is not easy to determine what is the fundamental information . In addition, storing and using it correctly also represents a great challenge. Present this customer data collection guide that will help you learn everything about the subject and how to successfully implement . Additionally, in the community you will be able to find out what contact information is important for a company.
What is data collection
Data collection is a method by which companies collect and measure information from various sources. To obtain a complete picture, answer important questions, evaluate their results, and anticipate future trends. This process seeks to gather and measure information from different sources.
The first it is a discreet and simple way to inspect data without relying on a middleman. This method is characterized by being non-intrusive. Requires evaluating the behavior of the object of study for a continuous time, without intervening.
Although this technique is one of the most used, its superficiality usually leaves out some important data. We recommend that you record your information in an orderly manner and try to avoid personal biases or prejudices. This will be of great help when evaluating your results.
Also it consists of obtaining data directly from the study subjects in order to obtain their opinions or suggestions. To achieve the desired results with this technique. It is important to be clear about the objectives of your research. Questionnaires or surveys provide broader information; however, you must apply them carefully. To do this you have to define what type of questionnaire is most efficient for your purposes. Some of the most popular are:
- Also used to gain insight into people’s perspective on a specific topic, analyze their opinions and obtain more detailed information.
- Also used to obtain a large amount of information, but people’s responses are limited. They may contain multiple-choice questions or questions that are easily answered with a “yes/no” or “true/false.” This is one of the most economical.
Note: keep in mind that one of the main obstacles in applying surveys or questionnaires is the low response rate, so you should opt for an attractive and simple document. It uses simple language and gives clear instructions when applying it.
- Also onducting interviews can help you overcome most of the shortcomings .
- It allows you to develop a deeper understanding of the thinking behind respondents’ responses.
- This method consists of collecting information by asking questions.
- Through interpersonal communication,
- The sender obtains verbal responses from the receiver on a specific topic or problem.
- The interview can be carried out in person or by telephone and requires an interviewer and an informant.
- To conduct an interview effectively, consider what information you want to gain from the topic under investigation
- So you can guide the conversation toward the topics you need to cover.
- Gather enough information on the topic.
- Also prepare your interview in advance.
- Listen carefully and create an atmosphere of cordiality.
- Remember finally to approach the interviewee gradually and ask easy-to-understand questions.
4. Focus Group Discussions
The first this qualitative method consists of a meeting in which a group of people give their opinion on a specific topic. One of the qualities of this tool is the possibility of obtaining various perspectives on the same topic to reach the most appropriate solution.
Besides if you can create the right environment. You will get honest opinions from your participants and observe reactions and attitudes that cannot be analyzed with another data collection plan. To do a focus group properly you need a moderator who is an expert on the topic. Like observation, order is essential for evaluating your results. Remember that a debate can always get out of control. If it is not carried out in an organized manner.
1. Example of data collection through observation
One of the advantages of observation is obtaining first-hand data and references. A great way to apply it is with the demonstration of products and services. By paying attention to the way customers interact with them. What their reactions are, what interests them most. From this, make a record of which behaviors are repeated. Another option would be to directly monitor the points of sale.
2. Example of data collection with forms
The online forms that can be created on Facebook, with questions specially designed to find out a particular piece of information, not only about the user’s experience, but also in what industry they work, in what area, the size of the company in which they work, their interests, among others.
3. Example of data collection with interviews
Interviews are an opportunity to better record people’s reactions and those subtleties in gestures or tones of voice that are lost in surveys or forms.
In addition to the fact that you can do them by phone, a video call may be more effective, especially if your interlocutor allows you to record their face: this way you will better understand their responses.
We suggest that you structure it with a script that helps you guide it so that you don’t lose the objective. Select interviewees according to their knowledge or experience that is relevant to your goals: loyal customers, members of your most important competition, innovators in the area, people who recently acquired the product or service or for the first time.
4. Focus Group Discussions
In the focus group you can do three things:
- The firs the conduct a group interview.
- Give several people, within a controlled environment, your latest product to try.
- Carry it out during an online meeting.
In all cases, well implemented, you will have very valuable information from real people, especially if there is an effort to attract those who will be your target audience.
Since you don’t know for sure where the most valuable information will come from, you’ll need to pay close attention to how participants interact with your product, their responses, and what happens between them. Lean on digital tools, such as chatbots. Don’t forget to record the session to have a backup.
Let’s make correct decisions based on the data collected
Regardless of the strategies you decide to use to collect data, it is essential that there is a direct and open line of communication between decision makers, so that they can reach conclusions based on the results or evidence.
Placing special emphasis on the analysis and presentation of data is extremely important. Remember that data must be useful and support a specific purpose; but above all they must be reliable and clean. Therefore, having a tool that allows you to have a single source of reference is of great help.
Data: the most important elements in an effective AI strategy
Conversations around Artificial Intelligence are increasingly common and deep in different industries.
According to data from The Untapped Data Research report, prepared by Salesforce, nine out of 10 Mexican business leaders affirm that data is crucial in making decisions in their organization today. However, 40% of executives do not understand data due to its complexity or lack of sufficient accessibility.
The report details that 84% of leaders agree that data helps reduce uncertainty and make more accurate decisions in business conversations. As a result, 82% of companies plan to continue or increase spending on employee data skills and training to close the gap.
Also These figures also have an impact on the careers of young people, Pérez mentions, since Artificial Intelligence will be part of the language of new employees who join the workforce in the future. “When integrated and leveraged correctly, data has great potential to generate efficiency and trust among both customers and employees,” comments the also executive vice president of Salesforce.
Freytes agrees with this, adding that when it comes to AI applications, clients want more resources to improve relationships with their customers and data allows them to take a step back before implementation, to analyze how to use the technology in an optimal way. responsible. However, he also mentions that from the academy it is necessary to generate a change of approach so that universities generate talent willing to learn constantly and stay updated despite the rapid evolution of technology.
AI is capable of collecting and analyzing large volumes of data, offering valuable insights that can help refine marketing strategies and increase return on investment. But how can you make the most of the potential of AI in your marketing strategies?
(AI) is the intelligence of machines or software, as opposed to the intelligence of humans or animals. It is also the field of study in computer science that develops and studies intelligent machines. “AI” may also refer to the machines themselves.
The traditional goals of research include
- Also reasoning
- knowledge representation
- natural language processing
- And finally support for robotics
Problem-solving techniques, including
- search and mathematical optimization,
- formal logic,
- artificial neural networks,
- methods based on statistics,
- operations research,
- AI also draws upon psychology,
- many other fields.
Data in this space can mean anything.
- video sequences,
- or a combination of all of these
In short, everything that is useful for a machine to perform its task of learning and optimizing results is data. To give you more information about the different types of data, here is a quick list:
- Data sets can come from a structured or unstructured source.
- For the uninitiated,
- structured data sets are those that have an explicit meaning and format.
- They are easily understandable by machines.
- Unstructured, on the other hand, are details in data sets that are all over the place.
- They do not follow a specific structure
- Finally format and require human intervention to extract valuable information from such data sets.